Artist Marshall Thompson contributed these images of a diorama he created
inspired by The Night Boat.
The Night Boat is a novel written by Robert R. McCammon in 1988. It is a story
about a German WWII U boat and its crew that gets cursed by a Caribbean witch
doctor. The boat gets sunk and its crew is doomed to live forever in it.
Thirty plus years later, after being buried under water and sand, it is
inadvertantly freed from its watery tomb.The now floating rusted hulk covered
in sand and kelp is towed to a dock for inspection by it's discoverers. Under
the cover of moonlight the undead crew come out of the boat and ready her for
sea once again....
This was an exercise in lighting and working on an even smaller scale than I
usually do, it took a little over two months to make.
- U boat — Revell Type VII U boat 1/350 scale.
- Crew — eduard German navy WWII figures 1/350 scale.
- lights — Rice light strand. (used for interior of U boat and dock lights.).
- water — CastinCraft polyestercasting resin. (tinted with green enamel paint).
- "moonlight" — Radio Shack small square blue LED.
- Dock, crane, and all else all scratch built mostly with basswood.
Enjoy, and Thanks !
You can see more of Marshall's diorama work here.
These images are Copyright © 2012 Marshall Thompson. They are published
here with permission of Marshall Thompson. All rights reserved.
Click on each image to view a larger version.