Mark Justice gives a great review of The Border in episode 73 of Pod of Horror. The review begins at the 32-minute mark. (There are no spoilers beyond what’s offered in the official synopsis.)
As Robert McCammon’s The Border approaches its May publication, the reviews are just starting to roll in. Here’s the big one, accompanied by a star, from Publishers Weekly:
Genre-busting author McCammon (The River of Souls) pulls out all the stops for this exhilarating alien-invasion epic, which harkens back to his 1987 blockbuster, Swan Song. The spectacular opening introduces an amnesiac teenage boy who abruptly becomes aware of himself in a full-tilt sprint through a post-apocalyptic battlefield, with wounds that should have killed him, and knowledge and abilities he doesn’t understand…This story blends the gripping horror and action of McCammon’s earliest novels with the empathy of his more recent work, making it one of his finest.
The Limited and Lettered editions are long gone, but we still have a small number of signed trade hardcovers available at the bargain price of only $26.95.
From Subterranean Press:
For those of you lucky enough to score a copy of the sold out limited edition of Robert McCammon’s alien invasion epic, The Border, here’s a first look at the signed, limited edition dust jacket. (The trade edition is still available for order, and copies will be plentiful.)
Meanwhile, back at the warehouse, we’ve been posting excerpts from various books including:
- Fender Lizards (Joe R. Lansdale);
- The Border (Robert R. McCammon) -Don’t miss the opening battle scene of the book!
- Savages (K. J. Parker).
Check them out. You’ll find some mighty good reading.
You can pre-order The Border from Subterranean Press, Amazon US, Amazon CA, Amazon UK, B&N. It will also be available in ebook editions and as an audiobook from Audible. The book will be released in May 2015.
Bulgarian rights for The Border have been acquired by Ciela Norma. A Bulgarian edition of Boy’s Life was released by another publisher in 2013.
Czech rights for The Border and Speaks the Nightbird have been acquired by Classic, who published a Czech edition of Swan Song in 2014.
We previously announced that Chinese rights to The Border were acquired by Nautilus in August 2014.
Subterranean Press posted this update on their website:
We know a ton of folks are waiting for Robert McCammon’s The Border. We’re happy to let you know that it’s right on schedule to be released at the end of May. In one of the next few updates, we’ll post the cover and some of the images from the SOLD OUT signed limited edition.
In the meantime, the signed copies of the trade hardcover (with the epic cover you see here) continue to sell very well. Fewer than 10% of those copies remain available. After that, we’ll be selling unsigned copies.
Trade: Fully cloth bound hardcover (signed): $26.95
It’s been a while since we’ve posted links from around the ‘net….
- SF Signal: Table of Contents: BLUE WORLD by Robert McCammon
- Publishers Weekly: The 10 Best Horror Books You’ve Never Read (includes Swan Song)
- Brian Kirk Blog: Fearless Writing — Gone South by Robert McCammon
- AL.com: 35 great quotes by Alabama authors (includes two quotes from Robert McCammon)
- noctslackv2: Boy’s Life by Robert McCammon — A review
- Author Marko Susimetsä: My Top Reads of 2014 (The Wolf’s Hour tops the list)
- Elitist Book Reviews: The Five by Robert McCammon
- Bay State Reader’s Advisory: Classic Coming-of-Age Tale: Boy’s Life by Robert McCammon (Audio)
- Diary of a Writer in Progress: A Year in Books, 2014 Edition (Part 1) (includes Boy’s Life)
The lettered and limited editions are now sold out from Subterranean Press. Of course, they still have the trade hardcover available for pre-orders here. Copies of the limited edition can still be ordered from Cemetery Dance.
Chinese translation rights for The Border have been acquired by Nautilus.
The Border will be released on May 31, 2015, in trade hardcover, ebook (U.S.), and audiobook formats.
Subterranean Press is now taking pre-orders for Robert McCammon’s The Border, an epic SF/horror novel that will be released in May 2015!
From the Subterranean Press book page:
World Fantasy award-winning, bestselling author Robert McCammon makes a triumphant return to the epic horror and apocalyptic tone reminiscent of his books Swan Song and Stinger in this gripping new novel, The Border, a saga of an Earth devastated by a war between two marauding alien civilizations.
But it is not just the living ships of the monstrous Gorgons or the motion-blurred shock troops of the armored Cyphers that endanger the holdouts in the human bastion of Panther Ridge. The world itself has turned against the handful of survivors, as one by one they succumb to despair and suicide or, even worse, are transformed by otherworldly pollution into hideous Gray Men, cannibalistic mutants driven by insatiable hunger. Into these desperate circumstances comes an amnesiac teenaged boy who names himself Ethan—a boy who must overcome mistrust and suspicion to master unknowable powers that may prove to be the last hope for humanity’s salvation. Those same powers make Ethan a threat to the warring aliens, long used to fearing only each other, and thrust him and his comrades into ever more perilous circumstances.
A major new novel from the unparalleled imagination of Robert McCammon, this dark epic of survival will both thrill readers and make them fall in love with his work all over again.
The limited and lettered editions will feature:
- An exclusive wraparound dust jacket
- Custom slipcase or traycase (as appropriate)
- An original afterword by Robert McCammon
- Several full-page interior illustrations not in the trade hardcover
- The trade edition dust jacket as a frontispiece
Limited: 500 signed numbered copies, with exclusive wraparound dust jacket and interior illustrations, housed in a custom slipcase
Lettered: 52 signed copies, bound in leather, housed in a custom traycase
Trade: Fully cloth bound hardcover edition
Note: The first 1000 trade copies ordered direct from SubPress will be signed by the author
Ebook versions (U.S.) will also be available, as well as an unabridged audiobook from Audible.
Subterranean Press has also revealed two of David Ho’s interior illustrations for the limited and lettered editions. Click on each image to view a larger version.
Hello everyone, Paige here. Subterranean Press is happy to reveal an exclusive first look at Robert McCammon’s THE BORDER, his return to epic horror for the first time in more than two decades. While this is not the final cover, it’s sure worth seeing! We will start taking orders for THE BORDER in the new year.
For Chinese readers, Nautilus has purchased the rights for Chinese translation of Robert McCammon’s upcoming horror/SF novel The Border. No word on when that’ll appear, but Subterranean Press will publish The Border in limited, trade hardcover, and ebook editions in Spring 2015. Audible will release an unabridged audiobook edition of The Border at the same time.
You can read a little more about The Border here.
Finally, here are some of the recent related links from around the ‘net:
- Michael R. Collings wrote a fantastic essay about Boy’s Life
- Jonathan Janz write a superb review of The Wolf’s Hour
- Arah-Lynda Hay wrote a great review of Boy’s Life on Goodreads
- The “Talk Stephen King” blogger posted about Swan Song (and part 2)
- Artist Soraya Nullia posted about the “I believe in magic” quote from Boy’s Life
- Writer A. Braxton reviewed Swan Song
- Blog site lostinthatstory reviewed The River of Souls
- A photo of a tattooed quote from Boy’s Life was posted on Facebook
- Blog site wrongspelling posted excellent reviews of Speaks the Nightbird and The Queen of Bedlam
Don’t forget: Robert McCammon will be speaking at the Huntsville-Madison County Public Library on Thursday, October 2, 2014, at 6:30 PM!